Monday, May 30, 2016

Did Your Dermatologist Tell You That SunScreens Are Toxic & Carcinogenic?

It's Almost Summer Time and many people are slathering on sunscreens & sunblocks to protect them selves from the sun.

The problem is that most sunscreens are carcinogenic & highly toxic products.

Many sunscreens contain endocrine disrupting chemicals that act like the hormone estrogen.
oxybenzone, octinoxate, homosalate, are all considered toxic and carcinogenic.

If that wasn't bad enough, most commercial sunscreens are contributing to male infertility because of ingredients that they contain which mimic the "female hormone" progesterone.

These endocrine disrupting chemicals are able to be absorbed through the skin and effect sperm cells.

"Progesterone plays a vital role in a sperm's ability to mature and fertilize a female egg. It controls the attraction of a sperm cell toward a female egg, as well as the sperm's ability to move and break through barriers to reach the egg. "

Not only can many sunscreens contribute to infertility and cancer, but they can lead to vitamin D deficiency !!

I personally don't use sunscreens, I might consider using a sunblock if I'm going to be exposed to really hot temperatures.

My strategy that has worked well so far is to sit under an umbrella and cover my skin as much as I can when I am at the beach. I take my shirt off when I go swimming, then sit back under a umbrella and or a shady spot while covering my skin again with clothing or a towel.

Sunblocks are a better option. They usually contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These are considered physical barriers rather than chemical barriers. (make sure that they don't contain the estrogen mimickers mentioned above.

Check the EWG List of safe sunblock alternatives

I also want to mention that besides the above mentioned strategies that I use, I make sure to ingest loads of antioxidants during the summer and when I know that I will be exposed to high temperatures.

Antioxidants and colorful pigments contained in vegetables and fruit peels help protect our skin.
When we eat them they actually get implanted in our skin, protecting us from sun damage !!

Make sure you are drinking lots of vegetable juices with the skin, and taking advantage of the sunprotecting nutrients in seaweed.

Don't be scared of the sun. Get plenty of sun, just make sure that you don't burn :)


The trouble with sunscreen chemicals
https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/

Evidence mounts that sunscreen could weaken sperm
http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/14/health/sunscreen-sperm-male-fertility/

No comments:

Post a Comment